Source SDK Base Available for Free (NT now standalone)

On topic discussion about Neotokyo goes in here...

Moderators: FriedchikenCamo, Glasseater

Source SDK Base Available for Free (NT now standalone)

Postby randomxxx on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm

I really don't want to derail this thread from bearcat appreciation, but does f2p tf2 grants a user free source SDK as well? I heard it does, but I don't see orange box sdk in downloadables. If it is, then Neotokyo is free now, people won't have to buy a source game in order to play it, which could do some good to its popularity.
Also hi bearcat. :)
randomxxx

Re: o hi neotokyo

Postby FriedchikenCamo on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 am

randomxxx wrote:but does f2p tf2 grants a user free source SDK as well? I heard it does, but I don't see orange box sdk in downloadables.

As of now it doesn't, unless you buy an item in the TF2 store. However, Valve is packaging something to make the Source SDK free for everyone:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... o-be-free/

Under Valve Time, who knows when this will happen. :P

(Update: SDK Base is now free to use as stated below)
FriedchikenCamo

Postby randomxxx on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 am

Interesting. Thank you.
randomxxx

Postby l0xFBl1so on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 am

randomxxx wrote:orange box sdk

There is no such thing as orange box sdk. There is just Source SDK for both episode one and orange box engine branches. And you should be able to see it in tools category.
There is also SDKs named 'Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools', 'Left 4 Dead 2 Authoring Tools', 'Alien Swarm - SDK' and 'Portal 2 Authoring Tools' for those who own those games (and corresponding branch of Source engine).
FriedchikenCamo wrote:
randomxxx wrote:but does f2p tf2 grants a user free source SDK as well? I heard it does, but I don't see orange box sdk in downloadables.

As of now it doesn't, unless you buy an item in the TF2 store.

Source SDK isn't required to play NT°:S. Source SDK Base 2006, which contains materials, models, sounds and binaries (it's basically a copy of Source engine protocol v7) is required. Source SDK is required when you want to create a new mod, not to play existing.

Nevertheless, both Source SDK, Source SDK Base 2006 and Source SDK Base 2007 are free for download now. Regardless if you bought something or not. Move your steamapps folder out of steam folder temporary, create a new Steam account and check for yourself.
l0xFBl1so

Location: "Heaven's Night" Club, 2121 Carroll Street, Silent Hill, ME / Ukraine

Postby randomxxx on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

l0xFBl1so wrote:Nevertheless, both Source SDK, Source SDK Base 2006 and Source SDK Base 2007 are free for download now. Regardless if you bought something or not. Move your steamapps folder out of steam folder temporary, create a new Steam account and check for yourself.

I checked that Steam wasn't running, then moved steamapps folder, runned Steam, created new account and logged into it. Source SDK and both 2006 and 2007 Source SDK bases were available (and 2006 was marked as downloaded for whatever reason). Also I googled the matter and this article states 2006 and 2007 are indeed free (check the update at the end). Also VALVE developer wiki states it's available freely for all Steam users. Apparently Valve Time™ has come.
I wonder if we can promote this fact somehow. A sticky on the forum would be nice. :)
randomxxx

Return to General